Hello from you San Antonio 110 9/11 Memorial Climb Committee!
Below are important reminders and additional information for this Friday.
PLEASE read through them all (even if it is just a quick perusal) to ensure what might pertain to you.
Tower Of The Americas is located at:
739 E. Cesar E. Chavez Blvd.
San Antonio, TX 78205
• Check-in 6am-730am
Group Firefighter photo 730am
Bell toll and Climb begins 846am
(all subject to change by event need)
• Limited parking is available at the Tower Of Americas Parking entered off of Cesar Chavez Blvd. Some additional parking MAY be available in the small lot next door for federal building. The rest is fend-for-yourself with the garages and hotels nearby. Please allot enough time to find parking and make it to check-in on time.
• Check-in tables will close at 730 am promptly
• Fire and Law Enforcement: Bring proof of profession (or retirees, some evidence please) to check-in. (Full issued fire gear or PD/Deputy uniform will suffice.)
• You must have your check-in bracelet to enter climb. Security will be enforced.
• Be sure to have valid photo id or guardian present.
• Any no-show tickets by 730 will be given to stand-bys/walk-ins
• We have about100 spots available for walk-in registration. First come – first serve.
• NO CIVILIAN FIREARMS PERMITTED ON GROUNDS.
• Firearms may be carried by Law Enforcement or Military who are in FULL GOVT ISSUED UNIFORM ONLY. All firearms must be in secured position and secured in a duty issued holster. Long rifles must be secured/strapped to back side or pack and magazine REMOVED from all long rifles.
• No firearm may be hand held at any time during event.
• Group photos for the event will be taken at 730. Please be dressed and ready and listen for announcements. Ceremony will start right after photos and climb to begin at end of ceremony. Please be prepared to climb at 835 for 846 entrance.
• Elevators will be for First Responders in gear as first priority for entirety of event. All other participants are to use the second stair location for decent unless already pre-authorized.
• No photos are to be taken inside the tower until 3rd floor level.
• Please wear your department/agency shirt to represent! SA110 shirts will be available for a $20 donation, hats for $25, and bracelets for $5. First come, first serve! We are 100% funded by donations so we appreciate your support!
A couple more important things of note:
• THIS IS NOT A RACE. Nor competitive. We have heard mention of a few people misunderstanding and setting goals to race to the top. Racing is not allowed nor will be permitted. This is a Memorial with time stamps of remembrance for pause in climb for all to adhere to. Anyone caught racing will be dismissed from the climb. We are also a non-competitive event and will not tolerate competitive behavior disrespecting any climbers participation in this climb. Please respect why we are here.
(For anyone interested in racing please check out the CFF Tower Climb held in February)
• All civilians must begin first climb in civilian group. Due to the high number of first responders we have participating we need to ensure precedence to first responders carrying tags for our fallen so they have time to complete their tribute. As always the order of entrance will be firefighters, law enforcement, EMS, military, then civilian. Spouses will need to climb in appropriate category for first climb entrance. (Don’t worry, many friends and family have become friends and team mates over the years this way and form a great group of comradery. You may meet up with your spouse or partner after the first climb if you wish.)
• Please be respectful of firefighters during their climb.
What this climb represents is something very personal and heartfelt for all first responders, and fire personnel most of all. The importance of what they are all doing for their fallen brethren is a solemn memorial and tribute. In the past we have often had other climbers, obviously with good intent and heart, a bit overzealous in their attempts to encourage or interact with firefighters during their climb. A first responder sitting or paused may not be in need of your help as much as they are having a personal moment in which we all must respect. Although the show of support is, of course, so greatly appreciated we ask that you please respect being a part of something so personal and revered by these men and women and allow them this during their climb. Please understand that for those in gear sweating and being tired is part of the deal for these first responders and part of their tribute they want to pay for their fallen brethren. Volunteers will be posted throughout the tower should you feel someone is in need of assistance. We ask that you also please refrain from loud voices, singing, or behavior while in the stairwells and follow the moments of silence reserved as time stamps during the climb.
Lastly, please bring a dept/agency patch to add to our Patch Boards if we do not have one already. Please give to check-in table personnel. We currently have:
SA Park Police, TABC, Shavano Park FD, Del Rio Police, Bexar Co Constable, Terrell Hills PD, UTSA PD, District 2 Fire Rescue, Del Rio FD, Uvalde FD, Jarrett FD, Grey Forest FD, Riviera Beach FD, Poteet FD, Terrell Hills FD, Leon Valley FD, Lytle FD, Bexar Co Fire Marshall, Austin FD, San Antonio FD, Houston FD, Bexar Co Sheriffs Office, Bexar Adult Probation, Community EMS, Castroville FD, Victoria FD, Houston fire station 40, New Braunfels FD, Helotes FD, Windcrest FD
Please stay for the ending ceremony where we will have a traditional honor bell ceremony for our fallen, an honored respect for our fallen. Also we appreciate any help assisting us with tear down at event end. Just find a committee shirt and ask how you can help!
We currently have approximately 500 first responders representing over 50 different agencies, from all over South Texas and beyond attending this year. We THANK YOU for your continued support of the San Antonio 110 9/11 Memorial Climb.
Thank you for being a part of the SA110 family and your respectful tribute to our fallen. We will see you bright and early Friday morning!
Your San Antonio 110 9/11 Memorial Climb Committee